Thursday, February 2, 2012

Goodbye PMB, Hello Durban and PE!

This week is my last week in PMB.  We had Youth Justice on Thursday in which we implemented our first lesson plan.  It was more of just a talk, but the street kids were craving for someone to listen to their story.  We started off talking about role models, but the conversation swerved more toward the hardships that they face.  There has only been one female to show up to Youth Justice during my time in PMB – all the rest are boys.  I took special interest in her because she looked the most weathered out of all of the pavement community I’ve seen, and for the simple fact that she is a woman about my age.  After talking to her using one of the Zulu interns as a translator, I found out more about her story.  Her mother died when she was young and she has never met her father and has no idea who he is.  She hasn’t got identification documents, which the YMCA will help with this week.  She was extensively coughing and she revealed she has tuberculosis.  She has medicine to treat it, but the medicine must be taken with food to work and often times she does not have food.  I told her to come to the YMCA whenever she is hungry because they have extra so she can simply go to the security guard and ask for food.  Her physical condition is terrible.  She is dirty and wears tattered clothing.  Her face is full of scars and her breasts and one of her arms look as though they were once burned quite badly.  She had a fresh wound on the top of her head where her head was shaved.  I asked her about it and she told me that the police had yelled at her while beating her with their sticks simply because she was on the streets.  This is obviously illegal, but the laws are apparently not enforced and there is nothing to stop them.  On top of all of this, she has a four-year-old son that she cannot feed on a regular basis and she can’t be with due to her sicknesses.  She kept saying that she still needs to get a birth certificate for him.  Her story deeply touched me and it is difficult to wrap my mind around the fact that there are millions of others who have gone through similar lives.

I’ve made it this whole trip without locking myself out of my room.  But two days before I left, I managed to do so.  There is a wasp nest on the underside of my windowsill that I had not been aware of, but now I am as I was stung by several bees while I tried climbing in the window.  Charles, the new security guard, ended up saving the day by climbing through the window and grabbing my key.  Besides the bees, I’ve also made another friend.  I just found out there is a rat hole right outside my window that huge rats go in and out of all the time.  So between the bees, the rats, and the geckos, I’ve had some interesting roommates here.

Friday was our “Y-Zone Open Day,” which was a free event for everyone where they could come and enjoy crumping and also buy their monthly or yearly membership.  However, only one kid showed up so there was not much of an event.  The bible study was in full session with about 20 members, which was good.  There were also supposed to be between 60-80 students moving in this weekend, but none had shown up yet when I left on Monday.  Hopefully they will move in soon!  While I was waiting with registration forms for the kids to show up on Friday, Siya came and kept us company.  Since Swazi had gone to Johannesburg to visit her daughter, he had not eaten that day so I went and made him a meal.  Later in the evening when Lindie got off work, we walked to an Indian take-out restaurant just down the street and I tried an Indian delicacy called “briani” (not sure if that’s how you spell it).  They only make it on Fridays because it is such an extensive process to make it.  It is basically rice, curry, and meat mixed together but it takes about five hours because they cook it in layers to get the full flavor.
Siya, the boy who lives outside the sports center at the Y.

Saturday I hired a nice man named Rod as my tour guide for a safari!  We first went to the lion park in Pietermaritzburg where we saw deer, elephants, and lions.  We accidentally got between a mother and child elephant so the mother elephant charged our car and got within about 15 feet of us.  Rod slammed his foot on the gas and we got out of their quick – it was quite the adrenalin rush!  We then went to a private game reserve called Tala Game Reserve, where we saw zebras, buffalo, wildebeest, rhinos, hippos, ostrich, giraffe, and more!

Then we went to a rehabilitation farm called, “The Crafty Duck,” where Rod revealed that he is also a snake guru.  He has worked with snakes and reptiles for years so he took out a huge boa constrictor, which joined us on top of our table at the restaurant while we waited for our food.  The Crafty Duck had all sorts of animals from crocodiles to guinea pigs to snakes to goats.  I got to feed some ostrich!  Their brains are the size of a pea, but Rod told me that they are actually pretty dangerous because they are strong enough to rip right through you.

Rod, my tour guide, was a very interesting man.  He is in his mid-60s and is retired, but has a lot of hobbies.  He is involved at the Crafty Duck, leads tours and safaris with his wife, and is extensively involved in five different Christian mission organizations.  He grew up in South Africa and speaks Zulu, Afrikaans, and English.  In the early 70s he was drafted into the army to try to keep apartheid.  He said the only choice for white males at that time was to join the army or go to jail.  He still has nightmares about it today.  When he was young, he turned to drugs but he claims the Lord changed him and he has led a Christian lifestyle since then.  When talking about safety, he explained some crazy laws that apply to PMB including that if you are a woman alone driving at night, you are allowed to run red lights – you aren’t required to stop for anything.  Rod knows Pietermaritzburg like the back of his hand and was incredibly kind.  In fact he was so kind that he picked me up the next day free of charge for another 4 hours of touring the area.  We saw two different huge waterfalls, went to a street market, and went to the African Emirates (a place where American missionaries stay).

Sunday night I was busy packing up my suitcase when I heard tires screeching for about 5 seconds followed by a huge crashing noise.  I ran outside and sure enough, right in front of the YMCA a baki was on its side.  Luckily the driver was alone and he was fine – he only walked with a limp.  An ambulance was parked nearby so it got there within a minute.
Monday morning Reinhardt took me to the YMCA National Office in Durban.  Mpume met me there when she was done with registering for classes at school.  Thandeka, one of the employees at the national office, was explaining to me the process of extensively waiting in lines all day to register for classes.  It often takes all day.  Thandeka took me on a tour of the national office before Mpume got there a few hours later.  We drank coffee and hung out in the office for a while before we were picked up by Sizwe, Sipho’s nephew, to go to Sipho’s parents’ house where we stayed for the next two nights.  They live in a very nice community that Sipho explained was a white neighborhood before the abolishment of apartheid.  Everyone has been extremely hospitable here.  Mpume and Zama made a delicious dinner, prayed (which involved some beautiful singing followed by kneeling on the ground in praise), and then we spent the evening watching, “Jumping the Broom” and “Wrong Turn 4.”
On Tuesday, Mpume and Thandeka got the day off so that they could show me around Durban!  We took a public taxi, which was pretty much the same as the public taxis in Pietermaritzburg except it was extremely loud.  There was African House music blasting the whole time.  I got many, many more cow offerings in exchange for my marriage, but don’t worry mom - I declined all of them.  We stopped to see the world cup stadium, walk along the north and south beaches, went out for lunch near Ushaka Marine, and went swimming in the ocean!  When we laid down on towels on the beach to bask in the sun, we got all comfortable and within about two minutes a wave came up and soaked all of us along with our stuff.  We laughed and moved back about 10 feet.  In the evening, we stopped by a couple of townships to visit some of their friends and took a public taxi back and had dinner at Sipho’s house.  I met his wife, Kitty and daughter.  Sipho’s cooking was to-die-for.  I told him he could start a restaurant, as he and his wife are interested in converting their house to a family restaurant someday.  We went back to Sipho’s parents’ house for the night.  It was a lovely last day in Durban.
Mpume and I on the beach.

World Cup Stadium

Wednesday morning I had an early flight so Mpume drove me to the airport.  We got stuck in traffic along the way because there was a public taxi accident.  The emergency vehicles travelled on the shoulder of the road, but there were many cars and taxis that had swerved into the shoulder despite the fact that it’s illegal.  So the emergency vehicles were backed up and had to wait for the cars to clear out before they continued.  When we finally drove by the accident, there were people being loaded onto stretchers and several black people still lying in the road.  We continued to the airport, I said goodbye to Mpume, and I had a short flight to PE.  Jim picked me up from the airport and we made our way to Langerry!  The room is wonderful – a beautiful ocean view, kitchen, two bedrooms, bathroom, a spacious living room, and our own balcony facing the beach.  I dropped my stuff in flat 6 and went up to Connie and Jim’s place which is right above me to say hello to Connie.  None of my roommates were here yet but there were five or six others that were here.  Though it was a little rainy, we spent the day exploring the area, checking out the beach, watching movies, taking naps, and trying to get the internet to work.  For lunch we stopped at Friends Café, a couple miles down Beach Road.  We discovered they have free wi-fi there and the food and coffee is great so I suspect we will be making many trips there.  At 6:30 we went out to eat at the Fish and Chips place just down the road with Jim and Connie.  Even though I don’t like fish, I ordered fish and chips and to my surprise… I liked it! 
Our new living room!

Me, Sarah, and Britt's bedroom.

We found a jellyfish on King's Beach across the road from our flat.

View of the sunrise from our balcony.

The rest of the group arrived at about 9:30pm.  Jim rented a bus and trailer to pick them up and they came in full force at about 10pm.  It was so exciting to see everyone!  We walked around a little bit and got some cash before the unpacking began.
This morning we woke to hundreds of dolphins swimming in the crashing waves outside our flat.  We all agree that we are the luckiest people alive!  It is another rainy day, but the five of us (flat 6) put on our rain jackets and went to Friends Café for brunch.  We ran into all of the other groups at that mall throughout the morning.  After we ate and used some internet at Friends Café, we went to the grocery store, picked up a few things, bought our first round of South African wine, and headed back to our flat.  Tonight is our first gathering as a whole group.  I am so excited for the adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment